Thursday, June 11, 2009

Crazy storms

I'll begin with yesterday on my drive home from work. Chris called and said there were storms so I should hurry home. I was about a mile from my exit on I-20 when random stuff started flying across the road. The rain didn't start for another few minutes but it was coming down in sheets by the time I got home.

So You Think You Can Dance was preempted by the weather team which I was very bitter about. (It's the only show I care about in the summer!) I went to sleep at a decent time but the weather radio kept going off all night. I kept hitting the button to shut it up until about the fifth time I groggily realized that it might be trying to tell me something important (like a tornado was coming or something) so then I started actually checking it. But it was always just plain old severe thunderstorm warnings.

At 7 in the morning I was almost ready to leave for work when my graduate student for my toddler language program called me and said she wasn't coming. A TREE fell on her car. Luckily my student from last semester was able to fill in. On the way to work, I enjoyed a beautiful lightning show for about 20 minutes, and then it started raining in sheets again.

I made it to work but I was sopping wet and had five minutes to gather all the toys and materials, rearrange my office for the kids, and walk around the building (outside in the rain again!) to pick up one of them from his class. It thundered loudly the whole morning and scared a couple of the already unhappy kids. By the end of the morning, 4 of my 5 individual patients had canceled and Dallas flooding was a trending topic on Twitter. Thankfully it cleared up for the drive home, but more rain is in the forecast for tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment